Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Joyeux Anniversaire, Mon Frere.

Assalamualaikum.

Today’s posting is specially for my brother; who, besides my family, is one of the most important person in my life. Without doubt! And I for one, can never be grateful enough to Allah for this lifetime gift to me, that more often than not, makes me feel blessed and lucky, all at the same time.

Alhamdulllah…

"A person is only complete when he has a true friend to understand him, to share all his passions and sorrows with, and to stand by his throughout his life."

The word of wisdom above is what echoed through my head right now as I search for exact words to describe my brother in this entry. Of course, if I have my way, I would’ve changed the word friend above to something more significant to me, frere or brother. Hmm, maybe I will next time, but for today, I guess that will do… for I have more important things to say here.

My brother, as far as I can recalled when I first met him back in 1996 is one of the nicest guy in our school, very well-liked and well-respected. Just name it; ‘budak surau’ or ‘budak lagha’ (like me, hehe), we can’t help but nodding our head in agreement to whatever he said. Even sometimes, when we’re in the middle of big laugh and joking around, everything will be quiet when he arrived or just passing by there… and of course, with a guilty smile on our face…!

Such is the effect of my brother to other people. And such is the quality that drawn me towards him, as we grew closer by the end of 1996.

People always asked me, how in heaven’s name we could become best friends when everybody knows that we are world apart in almost every aspect; attitude, way of thinking, personality, interest, background, et cetera… et cetera… et cetera.

But I always said: First, we are not just best friend, we are brothers… the best one. And second, all the differences that being mentioned above? That’s what make us closer and stronger as brothers! As I always said to people around me; imagine a set of puzzles, only different shape of puzzles can fit each other. Two similar shapes? Try it yourself!

Obviously, the situation in present day is way different from 12 years ago. While he is now happily married with a kid – my cute nephew, Hasif – I’m still single with just a piece of broken heart (sigh). But put it all aside, we are still very much in contact, if not closer. Being Uncle Z to his son, makes me apart of his family and I relish the new position as much as I enjoy it.

As for my brother, he’s still tough and serious as I’m still a happy-go-lucky guy. But deep in my heart, I know we will remain brothers, stronger than ever until death takes us away from this world.

That’s why today, in this column, dated 23rd of January, I would very much like to wish my brother a happy birthday, and to wish him all the happiness in this world with Allah’s blessing in whatever he is doing.

So, to the best brother in this whole wide world, Joyeux Anniversaire, Mon Frere.

No comments: