Wednesday, May 28, 2008

True fitness

Assalamualaikum...

Wow, it has been a very long hiatus for me to write in this blog. Seems like forever. Hmm, that's what happened when you lived for two weeks without internet connection...
But now, everything went back to normal, i found myself giddy with so many things to tell in here;
HK, books, interesting lessons, my 'graduation' day for French and English Classes, and so many others.
At last, after a long debate with myself, i chose to tell one of my recent experience, a very valuable one, and of course, full of excitement too.

It all started with a phone call from my brother, Aizzuddin. He told me he just had a call from True Fitness Gym offering him a one week trial there. Since he lived afar from the gym (he, in Klang, while the gym, in Sri Hartamas), he gave the caller my name instead.
To make the long story short, i received the call 5 seconds after that, and before i hung the phone, i promised to accept the trial, starting the week after.

The day before the trial started, i got 3 calls from True Fitness, confirming my appointment with them. You can imagine, the whole thing made me nervous somehow. Lucky i invited my good friend, Din to join me. He already became a member of a gym near his house, and he was very eager to see the differences.
And a lot of differences we saw there!

Sri Hartamas branch of True Fitness probably one of the smallest from 4 branches of True
Fitness in Malaysia. But it is still very huge for me. Consist of 4 floors, it is full of modern and advance machines, together with 3 or 4 studios and halls for yoga and 'senamrobik'. It looks like, for every part of our muscles, there's a machine design specifically for it!

The first visi
t was full of explanations and promotional talks courting us to become member. But as would have been expected, the fees are so expensive, i have to decline the offer. But nevertheless, we're being provided with a trainer each to show us how to use the machines. For one hour, i tried almost every machine with great interest... and great pain...!

At the end, I survived the day not only with pain, but also with more determination to make the most of the one week free trial. Tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, i will come every day, i said to myself confidently.

And guess what? I did it! Almost. Except for one day, when the pain was so unbearable, i went to the gym everyday. Feeling better each time and feel confidence to push myself even harder each passing day.
Of course, just like everything else, we need motivation to do unusual things like this. For me, i was very fortunate when my housemate Iidil, agreed to go with me every night. Other than that, the motivation came in the form of the best nescafe latte' i've ever taste in my entire life! Call it a sin, because obviously, the calories are very high! But the free nescafe certainly captivated and fascinated my taste buds!!
Hmm, even until now, when the free trial had just finished, i still thinking of going there just to take a cup of the delicious latte' and went home! Just like that... hehe, lucky i'm still sane enough not to do such thing...

One of the most interesting things while i was there is about one Malay lady i met there. She must be a member there, and i saw her about three times that week. What makes me so interested in her is her attire for the gym. I guess she must be about 40 years old, but i have no way of knowing whether i was correct or wrong, simply because she wears purdah! Together with her loose attire and tudung labuh, she was definitely way.. way.. different from the others in the gym! And i really really admire her for that!!!
Just picture this scenery in your head. In the crowd of almost everyone is a Chinese in there (you can imagine their attire in the gym), there stood a very confident lady, dressed in what she think is right for her and proper for a Muslimah, showing the world that there's nothing wrong to work out in the gym while at the same time, menutup aurat!
Even me, with my long track-bottom, already feel like out of place from the others, imagine the strong lady! I totally salute her, and May Allah bless her...

The whole experience was very invaluable for me. Part of it, because it gave me another chance to explore things outside my 'comfort and rigid zone'. Another reason, and the obvious one, is simply the realization of the needs to take care of my body and health. Unlike the western country, where the young people started joining gym since their teenage years, we Malaysians (especially Malayyyy) have never being concerned about it. And at this point, i think better late than never, right?!

So, what are you waiting? Let's go find a gym...!

No comments: