Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day 1 (Friday): Being in a Mercedes for the first time...

Assalamualaikum...

As i recount back of what happened to me in the ferry, i can only remember feeling sick (mabuk laut) before went straight to sleep.

Exactly at 1.40 pm, i walked out of the ferry, onto HK-Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan, feeling somehow discontent and unaware that i actually just arrived in Hong Kong.
And then, the incident with the immigration happened (no need to repeat it again here), and about 2.00 pm, i was out at Shun Tak Centre, near the terminal.

I have to admit that after the incident, i felt shaky and somehow afraid of the new surrounding around me. More than once, i have to stop telling myself that the journey was a mistake, that something good will happen and I will be out of my misery. The rain and the coldness didn't help. And i stood there facing the road; alone, cold and troubled by all sorts of 'what if' questions in my head.

Occasionally, my phone rang, either for call-in, or sms. But at the time, i only waited for Din to call me. He was coming straight from HKIA, and he told me to wait at the first floor. But i didn't know where's the first floor, so i stay in my position, somehow hoping to see him with a taxi on the road in front of me.

Then about 2.50 pm, Din called. He asked me to wait in front of the starbucks in Shun Tak Mall, because he couldn't find me anywhere. I practically running to the Starbucks and as soon as i arrived, i saw Din.

He shook my hand, but it's not enough. I've been through tough time today and suddenly, he was there in front of me. i hugged him for a while and said repeatedly,
"i'm so relieved Din! So relieved..."
It was an emotional time for me, and as i followed Din to our 'taxi', i mumbled Alhamdulillah over and over again. Din, my buddy was here, and i was safe...

Then something happened, and all the 'tough time' i mentioned just now... just evaporated in the air...
I almost choked when i saw the 'taxi' that was going to take us to the hotel, was a Mercedes! A real, big, shiny one! And the driver was there, waiting to take my luggage and stuffed them into the boot of the car!

It took me a while to drink in the fact that i was in the Mercedes at the time and on my way to Sheraton Hotel! Later, i learned that my friend Din, is a privileged client of Sheraton and the Merc was something like a hotel limo served to bring the client to the hotel from the airport. Only, he chartered the limo to go a long way to Sheung Wan and fetched me there before going to the hotel. With a big... additional cost, no doubt...!

Wow... I don't know if i or anyone else can make that kind of sacrifice for a friend. But obviously Din could and i'm very lucky to have such a good friend like him. Alhamdulillah.

Oh, and should i emphasize more here, that my dream trip to HK has just begun... at that particular time?!

No comments: